Set in the heart of Britain’s Ocean City, the Duke of Cornwall is a stunning period hotel brimming with character and style. Built as Plymouth’s first luxury hotel in 1863, the Duke has been lovingly preserved and enhanced so that its unique Victorian Gothic splendour can still be enjoyed by guests today.
The hotel’s 72 rooms are all individually designed with thoughtfully-selected designer wallpapers and vintage furniture, creating a chic look that does justice to the building’s striking architecture. With a range of bedroom sizes and styles available, from comfortable en-suites to indulgently romantic four-poster rooms, there’s accommodation to suit everyone.
The Duke’s luxury extends to its impressive culinary offerings. Fine dining is available (for guests and non-guests alike) in the comfort of the hotel’s elegant restaurant. With an AA rosette and a dynamic team of chefs, its dishes look and taste sensational. Light lunches, cream teas and a generous choice of drinks are available in the lounge, with its welcoming bar and, in the colder months, a homely log fire.
If you’re planning a wedding, party or business event, the Duke is the ideal choice. With a wealth of experience in organising celebrations and group events, a range of room options and a full set of facilities and equipment, the hotel has everything you need to ensure your event runs smoothly. And with the backdrop of the Duke’s stunning decor and features, you can be sure your guests will be impressed, whether the occasion is one of business or pleasure.
As well as the merits that await guests within, the Duke also offers a fantastically convenient location in the centre of Plymouth. The hotel is a short walk from the city’s abundance of shops, restaurants and bars, as well as the historic Plymouth Hoe and Barbican, with their spectacular ocean views. And it’s a mere stone’s throw from two of the South West’s finest entertainment venues, the Theatre Royal and Plymouth Pavilions – making the hotel the ideal overnight stop-off or meeting place if you’re catching a show.
Whether you’re visiting Plymouth or it’s the city you call home, you’ll find the Duke of Cornwall a pleasure to experience. With its fascinating history, friendly but professional service, and breathtaking style, the Duke is truly a gem in Britain’s Ocean City.
The Duke of Cornwall has won the following awards:
- AA Highest rated 3 star City Centre Hotel with 84%
- AA Rosette for fine dining
- Investors in People 10 year award
- 2014 Employer Endorser of the Year from City College Plymouth
- 2015 Green Tourism – Silver Award
- 2015 City and Waterfront Award – Best Accommodation Provider. Winner
- 2015 Medium Sized Business of the Year – Plymouth Chamber of Commerce Awards, Finalists
- 2015 Award Bookings.com 8.1
- 2015 Employability Award from City College Plymouth
- 2015 Plymouth in Bloom Gold Award (plus previous year)
- 2016 Herald Business Awards – Tourism and Hospitality Highly commended
- Laterooms.room 2016 Top rated
- Number of Rooms / Units
|Room Type /||Room Tariff*|
|Double en suite||On Request|
|Family en suite||On Request|
|Luxury Rooms||On Request|
|Single en suite||On Request|
|Superior Double||On Request|
|Superior Twin||On Request|
*As a guide, prices are per room per night for hotels, guest houses, B&Bs and serviced apartments and per week for self-catering accommodation.
Note: Prices are a guide only and may change on a daily basis.
- 3 AA Stars Hotel
- Green Awards Green Tourism Business Scheme (Silver) 2016
- AA Awards AA - 1 Rosette 2016
Map & Directions
- Celebrity connection - Was visited by numerous Hollywood celebrities at the height of the Silver Screen days (1930s). Also, Shackleton and survivors of the Titanic stayed here.
- In town/city centre
- Non smoking establishment
- Of historic, literary or architectural interest - Grade II Listed Victorian Gothic hotel built in 1863 with numerous unique features.
Children & Infants
- Accept children (Minimum age) - 0
- Children's videos/DVDs available
- Facilities for children - Xbox and DVD Player available.
Parking & Transport
- Car parking - Car Park behind hotel – 25 spaces. Also on-street parking and public car park nearby.
- Access to golf course - Special discounts at Yelverton Golf Club (9 miles).
- Arrangements for riding/pony trekking
- Cycle hire
- Gym - We offer Gym discounts
- Additional meal details - Lounge bar snacks and Bistro menu. Packed lunches. All special diets catered for.
- Cater for vegetarians
- Local Produce English Breakfast
- Room service
- Serve breakfast
- Serve evening meal
- Serve lunch
- American Express accepted
- Delta accepted
- Maestro accepted
- MasterCard accepted
- Visa accepted
Room / Unit Features
- Colour television in all bedrooms
- DVD Player
- Four poster beds available
- Hairdryer in all bedrooms
- Modem point in all bedrooms
- Radio in all bedrooms
- Tea & coffee making facilities in all bedrooms
- Telephone in all bedrooms
- 24 hr return laundry service
- Accept coach parties
- Available for wedding receptions - Maximum of 300.
- Business facilities (eg. Fax/ modem) - Full secretarial services available.
- Central heating throughout
- Conference facilities - Banqueting, 6 Function Rooms, Boardroom
- Event venue
- Ironing facilities
- Licenced for civil marriages
- Night porter
- Pets accepted
- Public telephone
- Separate guests' lounge
- Staff fluent in foreign languages ** (List of languages are separately given)
- Wedding Venue
- Marketed as green/environmentally friendly - Operate recycling scheme and use locally produced vegetables, fish and meat.
- Marketed to any other specialist market - Work extensively with Plymouth Theatre Royal (2 minutes walk) for theatre breaks.
- Special provisions for cyclists - Provide storage space for cycles and suggested cycle routes for Dartmoor and the South Hams. Packed lunches available.
- Special provisions for lone female travellers - 24 hour check in, complete room service.
- Special provisions for walkers - Provide detailed walking maps of beauty spots for Dartmoor and South Hams.
- Czech spoken
- Polish spoken
Travel & Trade
- Wi-fi available
- The Duke of Cornwall Hotel
|Open New Year|
|Opening Dates 2017 (1 Jan 2017 - 31 Dec 2017)|
* The hotel first opened in 1863.