Development Stage 5 – Under construction
Work has begun on the £80million transformation of Plymouth’s main railway station into a modern transport hub with shops and offices.
Construction has started on the main concourse of the train station as part of a huge package to completely transform a key entrance to the city, which will be renamed Brunel Plaza.
Land at the Railway Station is allocated for a mixed-use regeneration scheme that delivers a high quality gateway and arrival point to the city and increases the capacity of the station to accommodate increasing numbers of passengers. Uses which will be supported include offices, education facilities, commercial, hotel, small-scale retail development, residential and student accommodation. Provision is made in the order of 4,800 sq.m. of B1a offices as part of the mix of uses.
SITE AREA: 2.21ha
OWNERSHIP & STAKEHOLDERS: Plymouth City Council, University of Plymouth, Network Rail & Great Western Railway.
EXISTING USE: Railway Station and associated uses, vacant offices, multi storey car park.
JOINT LOCAL PLAN ALLOCATION PLY16
Summary of uses: mixed-use regeneration to create a much enhanced gateway to the city, appropriate uses include office, education, commercial, hotel, small scale retail, and residential.
1. Partnership approach to regeneration with PCC, GWR, Network Rail and University of Plymouth on PCC led steering board.
2. Masterplan & Public Realm Delivery Plan produced and a Site Planning Statement prepared.
3. Planning consent and S73 granted for Intercity House for educational use (now under construction)
4. Site wide 'Brunel Plaza' masterplan screened for EIA (not required).
5. Prior Approval given for partial demolition of RISC building to facilitate Intercity House redevelopment.
6. Planning permission granted for use of Plot 2B as a construction compound for 5 year period.
7. Planning consent issued for Multi Storey Car Park
8. Pre-application advice given for public realm
PLYMOUTH CITY COUNCIL NEXT STEPS
1. Determine current planning application for the MSCP.
2. Encourage further pre-app engagement on the public realm
3. Proactively work with stakeholders through PPA and pre-applications to bring forward public realm proposals and other development sites within the masterplan area in line with Site Planning Statement.
4. Consider pre-occupation condition and any construction issues arising from Intercity Place
5. Consider planning conditions for Multi Storey Car Park
Katherine Graham, +44 (0)1752 307342