Although gutted by fire during World War II and refurbished in 1957, the 15th century fabric of St. Andrew’s still retains some of its pre-War features.
The great bell tower (“Yogge’s Tower”) and many of its memorials survive intact, the bells having been cast in the 16th century to celebrate Sir Francis Drake’s circumnavigation of the Globe (including his landing in California on 17th June 1579). The modern stained glass windows were designed by the distinguished post-War artist John Piper, who similarly designed windows for the new Cathedral at Coventry. The Tower and Central East Windows both commemorate Lady Astor. A few of the fragmented 17th century inscriptions upon the floor stones surviving in the south-east transept name merchants and others who would have been present in Plymouth at the time of the sailing of “The Mayflower” in 1620.